Giving Your Teen A Beautiful Healthy Smile
From a physical standpoint, the teenage years are a great time to straighten most smiles. Since most teens have the majority of their permanent teeth and their mouths are still growing, this makes straightening smiles easier and it generally takes less time than if you wait until later. Of course, the sooner your child gets their braces on, the sooner they will have that beautiful smile that boosts confidence and raises self esteem.
But Why Braces?
Beyond the obvious issues of appearance, there are many very important reasons why your child’s smile should be straightened:
- Maintaining your child’s good dental health – Crooked and crowded teeth make it more difficult for your child to brush and floss properly, which increases the likelihood of tooth decay and gum disease.
- Excessive tooth wear and damage – A bad bite with crooked teeth can cause abnormal wear or even chipping of teeth. This can also cause additional stress on the supporting gums and bone tissue and possible jaw joint problems.
- Self confidence – People with crooked and unattractive smiles are often self conscious about their appearance. This can affect their overall confidence and emotional health.
You Have Options
At South Carolina Orthodontics Group, we offer a number of different ways to straighten your smile and can help you select the one that’s right for you. From traditional metal braces to clear ceramic braces to Invisalign Teen and other options, your child and our professionals can work together to find the treatment plan that will work for your child’s smile and their personality. Some of the available choices include:
- Traditional Metal Braces – Today’s braces are much more comfortable and attractive than the tin grins of yesterday. There’s less metal and banding so they are not nearly as noticeable as before.
- Clear Ceramic Braces – Made of translucent ceramic materials, these braces are much less noticeable and are mainly used on the front teeth.
- Invisalign Teen – Now you can straighten your smile without braces at all, with Invisalign Teen clear aligners. These custom-made, removable aligners slip right over your teeth and gently straighten your smile and practically nobody will even notice. Since they’re removable, you can eat and drink without the restrictions of most other types of braces.